M-day is coming. Dun, dun, dun. A day which brings tears to the eyes of mamas young and old, terror to the hearts of fathers in search of gifts, and hand-print artwork from children everywhere. I love it. I’m so excited for the Saurus to get big enough to make me all sorts of handprint butterflies and what-not to hang on the fridge. But for now he’s still a wee one and all of his artwork involves regurgitated goldfish in my work boots and applesauce hair gel. Ahh, motherhood.
If you’re a panicking father, here are some picks of my favorite things to show your wife how awesome she is. Because let’s face it, birthing a human is pretty much the worst ever and nothing made me feel less beautiful. I always tell Husband that I don’t necessarily need fancy things, and you don’t have to spend money, but it is always nice to feel extra-loved every so often. Chances are your baby mama feels the same way, so relax. But not too much-you don’t want to forget about it. It’s a fine line. But you know, no pressure or anything.
1. bath melts I love baths. Sometimes, when the Saurus goes to bed, I go to the bath. Adding one of these makes it feel like a spa day.
2. monogrammed necklace Because this is beautiful. And if you’re a first-time mom, you can never have enough things that remind you of your awesome bundle of cuddle.
3. breakfast in bed. Do the dishes, too. That’s an important step.
4. apron Maybe it’s just me, but any occasion is a good occasion for an apron.
5. photos Make her a photobook. A little time-consuming, yes, but something she’ll cherish forever. Or, if she’s a super-photo-control-freak (like me), then just print out a handful to use in frames.
6. wallet I never carry a purse. And I rarely carry a wallet – I just end up throwing my ID, debit card, and phone into the depths of the diaper bag. It’s a bad system, so something like this would be incredibly helpful for transporting just the essentials between work bag, diaper bag, pocket, etc.
7. a spa in a jar Just a few little things to show Mom how much she is appreciated and to help her feel beautiful.
8. coffee mug Moms have bad days. It’s nice to be reminded that you’re not a failure.
9. urban halo head band. Looks great on those unwashed-hair days. (Hint – if she’s wearing this, tell her she looks extra pretty. And mean it)
10. a cup of coffee/starbucks gift card PS – you can send a starbucks one online! If you really want to step up your game, get her a Nespresso…because one cup of coffe is nice, but unlimited cups of coffee are better…
11. frame your baby’s handprint/footprint. The Saurus’ nanny did this for me for my birthday – she just put ink on his hand, embossed it, and laminated it. I totally cried – it was one of the sweetest things I’ve ever received and I’ll treasure it forever.