I meant to have this ready to go this morning but then Husband and I woke up (after the Saurus slept for 12 hours!! Happy Valentine’s Day to us!) and decided to take a spontaneous trip north up the coast for the day so my to-do list went out the window. And it was awesome. We had the best day ever and came home with a car full of really tasty things.
I made these cupcakes a couple of days ago when I needed something quick and easy to take to work. They were a huge hit – I even had one. (That’s saying a lot, in case you’re new here…) And they would have been super simple to make had I not run out of powdered sugar at 9:55pm and had to make an emergency trip to the store and came home to frantically frost the cupcakes and get in bed before the Saurus woke up for his “it’s 1 am so I want to be awake and eat and play and snuggle” time. I made it but it wasn’t my best of days. Thank goodness the cupcakes turned out or I might have lost in entirely. Which is why these pictures are so awkward…it may or may not have been midnight and it may or may not have been about my 12th cup of coffee.
1 box of vanilla cake mix (plus ingredients listed on the box)
1 Tbsp Fireball Whiskey
2/3 C cinnamon candies (like RedHots), crushed
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup sprinkles (I used silver jimmies)
1. Prepare cake mix according to directions on box, substituting 1 Tbsp of the water with the Fireball. Stir in crushed cinnamon candies, sprinkles, and vanilla.
2. Scoop into cupcake tin and bake according to box directions.
3. Allow to cool while you make the frosting.
1/2 C butter, room temperature
1/4 C shortening
2 Tbsp cream cheese, room temperature
3 1/2 C powdered sugar (more or less as needed for consistency)
4 Tbsp heavy cream (more or less as needed for consistency)
1/3 C crushed cinnamon candies
1. Whip butter, shortening, and cream cheese until fluffy.
2. Gradually whip in powdered sugar and milk, alternating between each until desired consistency is reached. Stir in crushed cinnamon candies.
3. Pipe on to cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles. Enjoy!