I’ve been meaning to write this post for a long time. But the the holidays happened, and then January happened, then February happened, and here we are…whew! I’ve been asked a lot of questions regarding the feeding of my not-so-tiny … Continue reading
I meant to have this ready to go this morning but then Husband and I woke up (after the Saurus slept for 12 hours!! Happy Valentine’s Day to us!) and decided to take a spontaneous trip north up the coast … Continue reading
My better half is truly my better half. To prove it, I’ve been recording his one-line gems; mostly things he says when he thinks I’m not listening and he’s not trying to be funny. Most of them involve his one-man crusade to rid our home of bugs.
To a fly he just killed: “Ha! Take that! You’re not a fly anymore; you’re a fall!”
When looking for the source of the ever-present ants in our kitchen: “Where do you hail from, ants?”
When trying to tell me he learned a new joke: “Dang it, sometimes I feel like such a big joke!”
Maybe you have to be here. Or maybe you have to love him as much as I do, but he is always making me laugh; it’s one of the things I love most about him. And I make cake; it’s one of the things he loves most about me. Because I love him, I bake him cakes. And because I love him a lot, I bake him six-layer cakes. With strawberries.
I wanted to find something new for him, but he really loves these strawberries and cream cupcakes and in his words, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” so I just turned that into a layer cake and used an adaptation of his favorite frosting from the berry cake. Yummy!
strawberry layer cake:
1/3 C chopped white chocolate
3/4 C whole milk
1 vanilla bean
2 Tbsp Grand Marnier
3/4 C butter, room temperature
1 C pure cane white sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
2 3/4 C flour, sifted
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
food coloring, as desired
1/2 C strawberries, pureed
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In double boiler, heat white chocolate, milk, and vanilla bean until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is thoroughly combined. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Set aside.
3. Whip together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time.
4. Alternate stirring in milk mixture and dry ingredients until combined.
5. Fold in strawberry mixture and food coloring until incorporated.
6. Divide evenly in 6 greased pans. I used disposable ones so that I could bake them all at once.
7. Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool completely.
1 C heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz mascarpone cheese, room temperature
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 C white chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
2 C powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries
1. In chilled bowl, beat cream and vanilla extract on high speed until soft peaks form.
2. Whip cheeses, white chocolate, and powdered sugar together until creamy. Fold in the strawberries
3. Gently fold the cheese mixture into the cream until completely incorporated.
4. Spread a layer of frosting between each layer of cake and keep stacking until you run out of frosting and cake. Top with sifted powdered sugar and strawberries. Chill until serving.
month eleven Oh my gosh. What happened? When did I lose my baby and get a toddler?! weight: 28 lbs length: 32 inches highlights: Six teeth! Now we have to brush our teeth…and we are not fans. I say we to indicate … Continue reading
Husband: I’m making myself a peppermint white mocha (My all-time favorite drink) Me: Well aren’t you nice to yourself Husband: Yup. It’s going to extra delicious Me: I suppose if you’re going to be nice to one person, it should … Continue reading
I was going to save this post for the 14th…I really was. But then I realized I have zero patience, even less self-control, and even fewer brain cells dedicated to remembering to do things. So, today it is! I mentioned … Continue reading