day fourteen :: peppermint white chocolate cupcakes
Living next to Ghirardelli is going to be the death of me. Inexplicably, my house is constantly full of delicious, wonderful chocolate. It’s dangerous. And delicious. Also, Christmas. Christmas will also be the death of me. Primarily because it’s the one time of year I eat goodies with abandon. It’s excellent. And exciting. And waist-expanding. Whoever made Christmas during the season of giant sweatshirts and leggings was a genius. Because let’s face it – Christmas treats and bikinis don’t mix. I’m going to need a full six months to get ready for that again.
I’m a sucker for peppermint + white chocolate. Totally. I shudder to think of the gallons of peppermint white mochas I’ve consumed and the pounds of white chocolate and bottles of peppermint extract. Cupcakes were my new experiment to conquer with peppermint and white chocolate. I have yet to find anything that doesn’t go with peppermint. Or white chocolate. Happy Christmas! May it be full of peppermints and delicious!
peppermint white chocolate cupcakes
baker’s note: This recipe makes 12 cupcakes. I’ve tried making these with a variety of fillings – Andes Peppermints, Lindt White Chocolate Truffles, etc. The favorite so far is a little white chocolate ganache. Yummy!
1/2 C butter, room temperature
1 C pure cane white sugar
1 egg white
1 1/2 C flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C whole milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C Andes peppermint baking chips (or crushed peppermints)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Beat butter and sugar together until fluffy
3. Beat in egg and egg white (I found it’s best to mix them together before adding them to the mixture)
4. Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt.
5. Gradually stir in milk and vanilla until well-combined.
6. Fold in peppermint chips
7. Scoop batter into cupcake pan and bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
white chocolate ganache:
5 oz white chocolate, chopped
1/3 C heavy cream
1. Place white chocolate in heatproof bowl.
2. Heat cream in small saucepan until just before boiling.
3. Pour hot cream over white chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted.
4. Set aside until slightly hardened.
5. Scoop out a small hole in the cooled cupcakes and fill with ganache.
peppermint white chocolate frosting:
1/3 C chopped white chocolate
3 Tbsp heavy cream
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 C butter, room temperature (not melted!)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peppermint extract
3 C powdered sugar, sifted
1/3 C flour, sifted
1. In double boiler, heat cream and white chocolate until melted and well-combined. Set aside.
2. Whip together cream cheese and butter until fluffy then add in white chocolate mixture. Add vanilla and peppermint.
3. Beat in powdered sugar and flour until desired consistency is reached.
4. Pipe onto cupcakes and top with candy cane.