day three: hot cocoa cookies
I made some cookies this weekend. Three batches, actually. Two of them were deemed edible (the other one needs some work) so I brought them into work. They were immediately devoured. And that made my little baker’s heart happy.
My coworker gave a review that was quite extensive but here’s the gist of it:
You know, these hot cocoa ones are the best. Tastes just like hot chocolate. The best part are those little marshmallows. You take a bite and they just explode in your mouth. Like a little, gooey, delicious puff. Those little suckers don’t go down easy – they fill up your mouth with awesome. Like a little marshmallow grenade explosion when you take a bite. I really like these cookies.
Another coworker took pictures and offered to invest in my bakery. I think I’m going to have to start bringing in more cookies; these people are good for my ego.
And that folks, is pretty much all you need to know. Also, I may or may not have eaten the extra fudge topping with a spoon. We’ll pretend I didn’t.
hot cocoa cookies
adapted from pip + ebby
1/2 C butter
1 3/4 C chocolate chips
1/2 C pure cane white sugar
1/2 C pure cane brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 packets instant hot chocolate mix
1 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 C heavy cream
3/4 C chocolate chips
1 packet instant hot chocolate mix
1/3 C marshmallow bits (+ more for garnish)
1. In double boiler, melt butter and chocolate chips and stir until smooth. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
2. Whip together sugar and eggs until well-combined. Add vanilla.
3. Gently pour in the chocolate mixture (Make sure it’s not too warm or it will cook your eggs. That’s bad, FYI.) and stir until combined.
4. Stir in flour, hot chocolate mix, baking powder, and salt just until incorporated.
5. Refrigerate dough for at least an hour (overnight is okay)
6. Preheat oven to 350 and scoop dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
8. While cookies are baking, place 3/4 C chocolate chips in heat-proof bowl and set aside.
9. In small saucepan, heat cream and hot chocolate mix until just before boiling.
10. Pour over chocolate chips and stir until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth and creamy. (If yours gets too think or thin, balance out with more cream or chocolate)
11. When mixture has cooled slightly, stir in 1/3 C marshmallow bits.
12. Spoon chocolate/marshmallow mixture over cookies and sprinkle with more marshmallow bits. Those little grenades are important.