The traveling circus has come to rest (for now). After 10 days of traveling and a whole lotta lattes, we have said goodbye to the land of Whataburger and arrived to our new home in the land of In-n-Out. It’s a fair enough trade.
The kitchen is still in boxes so I bring you the second installment in my traveling cupcakes series: White Chocolate & Rum Strawberry Cream Cupcakes. Or “Strawberries & Cream” because that’s fewer words to type.
I received a request at work for “something involving strawberries and not dark chocolate. Oh, and maybe some white chocolate cupcakes if you can.” Well alrighty then. Strawberries + white chocolate seemed like a pretty fair request to me. I’m pretty sure I solved by I-hate-homemade-frosting issue as well: flour. Flour probably isn’t supposed to go in frosting but now it tastes like the can (except better) and I’m happy. (If you’re not a fan of heavy frosting, I suggest something else) I also added rum to the cupcakes because I was still in clean-out-the-pantry mode and it makes delicious baked goods. I really am going to have to change the name of this blog to “baking with alcohol”. Or since my kitchen doubles as a brewery most days, maybe it should be “baking, with alcohol”. Grammar is key. Which is why I include so many typos in my posts: to keep you on your grammatical tippy toes. Someday I’ll invest in editing…someday….
In a semi-related public service announcement: have y’all ever seen My Drunk Kitchen? Hilarious. Only seconded by Drunk History – another hilarious show and also a major source for my BA in History. Legit. (But not officially sanctioned by me because it can get rather inappropriate. As do most things when an outlandish amount of alcohol is involved. You have been warned.)
Also hilarious? Me on social media. Mostly because I don’t understand it. You can find me posting random pictures (mostly about food and Texas) and family conversations (Me: “How do pureed peas sound, Saurus?” Saurus: “RAR! SQUEAK!”) on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/chuckandwelly) and twitter (https://twitter.com/chuckandwelly)
strawberries & cream cupcakes
1/3 C chopped white chocolate
3/4 C whole milk
1 vanilla bean
2 Tbsp clear rum
3/4 C butter, room temperature
1 C pure cane white sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
2 3/4 C flour, sifted
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C strawberries, pureed
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In double boiler, heat white chocolate, milk, and vanilla bean until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is thoroughly combined. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Set aside.
3. Whip together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time.
4. Alternate stirring in milk mixture and dry ingredients until combined.
5. Fold in strawberry mixture until incorporated.
6. Pour into cupcake tin. I had some extra strawberries so I sliced them thinly and placed them around the edges of the cupcakes before I poured in the batter. You’re welcome to do the same. Or just throw in chunks of strawberries. That works, too.
7. Bake at 350 for 20-ish minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
white chocolate frosting:
1/3 C chopped white chocolate
3 Tbsp heavy cream
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 C butter, room temperature (not melted!)
1 tsp vanilla
3 C powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 C flour, sifted
1. In double boiler, heat cream and white chocolate until melted and well-combined. Set aside.
2. Whip together cream cheese and butter until fluffy then add in white chocolate mixture. Add vanilla.
3. Stir in powdered sugar and flour until desired consistency is reached.
4. Pipe onto cupcakes.