One of my tastebuds’ favorite dishes is Eggplant Parmigiana. The waistband of my jeans, however, groans and judges me harshly each time I even look at the golden fried goodness. So I started my quest to stay within my Weight Watchers points, eat gluten-free, and still make my tastebuds sing. Ladies and Gentlemen, I have hit the recipe jackpot. Even my all-american, meat-eating husband called it “freaking delicious”. Enjoy!
guiltless eggplant parmigiana
- 1 cup finely crushed cornflakes (use your Ninja. What’s that? You don’t have one? Remedy that immediately)
- 3 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 cup egg beaters
- 1 eggplant
- 1 can (29oz) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 slices provolone cheese (torn up)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Combine dry ingredients (first 6 on the list) in one bowl and pour egg beaters in another. Remove skin from eggplant and slice no thicker than 1/2-inch.
3. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in cornflake mixture, making sure to coat completely. Place on non-stick baking sheet.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10.
5. In a casserole dish, layer baked eggplant slices, 1/3 of tomato sauce, 1/3 of cheese. Repeat twice more.
6. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
7. Serve and let your tastebuds dance.
Here are some less-than-excellent photos: (unfortunately, there is no finished product pic. We ate it before I remembered.)
Slice that eggplant
Dip in egg beaters
Cover with crushed corn flakes
Place on cookie sheet and bake 10 mins on each side.
…and cheese. Repeat two more times. (I had some left-over cornflake mixture so I threw that on top, too. Why not?) Bake for 10-15 mins and viola! Your husband will love you so much, he’ll even do the dishes.